Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Popsicles and the Art of Forgiveness

     I learned two lessons this week.  First - don't buy popsicles for 8th graders.  They make "colorful" comments that get them sent out of class for a time-out.       Second - when an 8th grade boy makes a colorful comment, forgive him and give him a second chance. 
     After I talked to him yesterday at lunch, he looked like he was going to cry. 
     Today was Memory Book Day and he shyly asked me to sign his book.  He looked down at me and said, "Ms. Cooke, I want you to know I am really sorry about yesterday."  Then he shook my hand. 
     You can't hold grudges with kids.  They are still learning - life lessons included. 
     So, today I taught the power of forgiveness.  Now summer begins with a clean slate so we can both enjoy popsicles.   

1 comment:

  1. That is a good lesson for EVERY middle school student and teacher. You just never know when the most innocent gesture will ignite "colorful" comments, and so it is important to have the consequence and forgiveness at the ready.

    More Hugs!

    ReplyDelete