Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tuesdays with Tiffany

https://sites.google.com/site/kissingmyfrogs/home/tuesdays-with-tiffany   This link will take you to my website where you can download or view the actual lessons.
    
     As a teacher, I have always been pressed for time.  There are so many things to cover in such a limited time before standardized tests begin.  Now that I am teaching reading, I do not have a standardized test to prepare for or a core curriculum that I will never finish by the end of the year.  I have been given the gift of time.  180 days to spark a love of reading in my frogs. 
     Most of my frogs are on a second to fourth grade reading level, even though they are eighth graders.  Some are lower than that and a few are nearly on grade level.  Most of my frogs share a dislike for reading and school.  Many were laughed at when they read aloud in class, some struggled to learn English and are just barely learning how to read in this foreign language, while others face learning disabilities that make the words move around the page.  Almost all of my frogs find reading "boring" and "stupid."
     Luckily, this frog kisser knows that reading affects their futures in ways they cannot yet imagine.  My first job is showing them that reading matters to them even though they don't know it yet.
     After reading the book Reading Reasons by Kelly Gallagher, I decided to chose one day a week to focus on why reading is important.  Each reason must have true life value and not just a "Mrs. Cooke" reason.  I chose Tuesdays...Tuesdays with Tiffany because one of my favorite books is Tuesdays with Morrie.   Tuesday has become one of my favorite days of the week because reading matters, even when you are a frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment